Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The joys of USADA and drug tests....

July was a frustrating month on the drug-testing front. First, they keep coming back. What I thought would be a yearly or at-most quarterly check has been monthly. I failed to update my schedule last week, and got my first missed test violation when they showed up at 6 a.m. Sunday morning at my Portland house (I was in DC). The missed test was completely my fault--I meant to go online last week and check my submitted schedule, but I figured since they had tested me at work a few days before I left for DC there was no chance they'd come back the following week and didn't bother checking whether I'd included my DC trip and lodging information/testing windows while in DC. While the tests are ordered by 2 different agencies (USADA or IAAF), they've still been spaced fairly evenly, or at least not more frequently than monthly. Wrong. This time would have been 10 days between tests. I mean seriously, me, doping? Although that brings me around to the next drug-testing drama.

A couple of days after returning from Western States I got a very official and legal sounding letter from USADA letting me know that I was being investigated for a potential anti-doping rules violation. Huh? To back-pedal a bit, whenever they come to test, I have to declare what I've taken in terms of vitamins/medications in the 72 hours prior. That usually equates to me declaring my daily Vit D supplement. When I was drug tested in April or May I had indicated that I'd had a Venofer infusion via a 200 mL drip. Venofer is an iron sucrose solution used to treat anemia. It's administered via an IV drip, wherein lies the problem. While iron is not a banned substance, getting an IV infusion of more than 50 mL that's not administered in a hospital setting is not allowed without a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE). However, in my case, I didn't need a TUE because it was administered in an out-patient clinic at OHSU which qualifies as a hospital setting. I know this because I checked into all of this BEFORE I got the infusions. That's part of the reason I found the notification so annoying--I went through the proper steps, contacted USADA, asked for clarification prior to treatment, and went ahead, and then got a letter saying that I'd done something wrong. Screw you. I freaked out more than a little when I got the letter even though I knew I'd done nothing wrong. And I wasn't sure how to respond. It was all very official sounding. Did I need a lawyer? Luckily, my primary care physician is great, and works with athletes, and I sent him off the letter from USADA, which he wrote a response to immediately, such that I responded to USADA the same day they sent me the notification. I was cleared of the violation within a week or two, but the whole thing caused me angst and a few tears.

To me it's just ridiculous to think that I'm probably the only ultra runner in the US currently being tested on an out-of-competition basis. Sabrina and Jon will most likely get put into the pool, but maybe not until next year (I won worlds in April 2012, and wasn't in the pool until February 2013). No one else in the sport needs to worry about getting a violation for using cold medication or an epi-pen should I have an allergic reaction to a bee sting (you can get a post-usage emergency TUE for this, but again, it's the process that's a pain).  It's one thing when you're a professional athlete and have nothing to do but lounge around between workouts and wait for USADA folks to show up and worry about applying for TUEs. Running is not my job. I have a regular job and it's already hard to squeeze it all in without worrying about whether going for a run is going to make me miss my testing window. I can also be an irresponsible flake, and simply forget to do things, like pay bills on time or update my whereabouts filing. It would really suck to get 3 missed tests and get a suspension because I'm a flake.

And then there's the awkwardness around getting tested at work. I'm required to declare a 60-minute window every day of the week. Logistically, it would be difficult to declare my 60 minute window before work (I'm out running many days and the window can't start until 6 a.m. which would mean I couldn't run in the mornings), and after work would mean that I'd have to go home and wait for them every night (I'm often out running, or at the gym or doing something).  On the weekends my window is 6-7 a.m. at home, but more often than not, they've come at work during the week ( although they've now come twice on weekend mornings at 6 a.m.). So, work seemed the best option during the week, being that I assumed it would be a once-every-6-months kind of thing, and not something that could actually disrupt my work day.

The "awkwardness around getting tested at work" comes in few ways. This last test I had just used the bathroom before she arrived, so couldn't produce a sample right away. I tried, and then had to carry my partial sample around with me, and back up to my desk, while I continued to work with my USADA friend in my cube with me until I could finish (I can't leave her sight once she's contacted me). Then there's the "watching you pee" aspect to the test, which at home is no biggie, but when you're in a work bathroom with multiple stalls, and the two of you enter the stall together with others in the bathroom, and are then pouring urine samples into fancy little bottles on the counter...it's got to look a bit strange.

In the meantime, I'm expecting them today or tomorrow to make up the test I missed Sunday, but maybe it doesn't work that way. Regardless, I now need to be a lot more anal about letting them know my every move because I don't want a second missed test. Three strikes (within 18 months) and you're out. Although in the low-key trail ultra racing world, what does that even mean? Is a non-USATF trail 50 miler going to tell me I can't race?


Anonymous said...

Yeah, I remember you describing this process before, and marveling at its analness. And actually being thankful that I'm a sucky enough runner that I'd never have to make the choice about whether to go through this, because my job sites and schedules are so in flux, and all-too-frequently out of cell zone, never mind internet re-scheduling! My sympathies - and good luck! :^) May they schedule your next meeting at a more convenient time!

ultrarunnergirl said...

What a colossal pain. That sure is going above and beyond what I would have thought was involved in being drug tested.

Next time, it might be worth it to finish second! :)

amy said...

I'm not sure what the anonymous meant by "the choice about whether to go through this" because I haven't found that I have a choice, besides officially retiring (there's a process for that), but what does that even mean in the ultra world? That would mean I can't compete in USATF events and IAAF-sanctioned ones, like the World 100K, but shouldn't mean anything for local races, and I'm not sure about races like WS who say they follow USADA guidelines. This wasn't something I opted into. I was put into the international testing pool because of my win at the World 100K. I guess the reference to choice might be the choice of whether or not to compete at World Championship events, but I would guess that most of us don't go in to such events with the assumption we'll place in the top 3, and thus get placed in the pool. It's not something one opts into.

Also, they don't schedule meetings, they show up unannounced to places I've declared that I'll be on the schedule I submit quarterly. My error was in not updating the schedule with a business trip, so they came to look for me and couldn't find me.

Kir, I think technically the first 3 make the pool. So, you need to finish 4th or lower.

Chris said...

Wow Amy. I can't believe how they are putting you through this! Seriously, shouldn't they focus more on the athletes out there making money or competing in the Olympics? You may not think this, but I admire your patience and think you are not a flake. No way I could do this. Wish you the best....Chris

Anonymous said...

Really Amy, you are one of the best. Why is it necessary? Just do what you do...RUN. And keep drinking craft beers!


Tasha Boone@ESS said...

“watching you pee” – Hmm... So much for warranting you didn't fake the urine sample. But even though it's a bit weird, we should bear with it. There have been cases where one uses urine samples from a stock of clean urine he had stored beforehand. Pretty clever, but totally not encouraged! Anyway, were you able to take the next scheduled test?

cmalcolm said...

I know this comment is a bit late to this article but I was listening to an interview with another trail runner who had just started to get tested...and I just wanted to say I understand your frustration immensely. I am in the same boat, and although I compete in running I get tested for a different winter sport and have been tested by USADA/WADA for the past 4years. Last time I got tested (all olympic listed athletes have to get tested within 6months of the games) it was during a dinner party at my house. After two hours when I could finally pee our living room literally erupted in applause (the USADA women didn't seem to like that).

On the plus side what I've found that makes it easier is updating qt and just putting my home address for everyday of that qt. And then I just update via text if I'm traveling somewhere else. I also put in their comments section that I'll be out of the house from 8-6 or 7. That means they won't show up when I'm at work or out of cell service in the woods somewhere. Essentially this limits your only hassle to logging on once every three months and resubmitting your home address.

With everything that has happened in cycling over the past decade, it's hard for me to get to ruffled over a little inconvenience.

Unknown said...

How did the tests go, Amy? Mandatory drug tests for athletes arew a big requirement, especially for those who are competing at a professional level. This is to make sure that no athletes have the advantage by using methods like TRT and steroids. The same could be said for companies since employees who are abusing illegal substances may influence others and create a domino effect in the company. Thanks for sharing and good luck in future endeavors! :)

Sabrina Richardson

Unknown said...

searching for Top Escorts in Gurgaon, We have top Class escorts in Gurgaon, for fun in the Night, Our High Class escorts in Gurgaon are top escorts in Industry and they have great qualities to gave you real fun time.
Escorts in Gurgaon
Call Girls in Dwarka

Roman lesnar said...

I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. drug test cups

Muhammad Hassan said...

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. THCClean